Second Special Appropriation Act signed
Provided by Sabinet
With a sound performance history of over 30 years, Sabinet has firmly established itself as a leader in facilitating access to a wide spectrum of high-quality and credible information sources. Over the course of the last thre... more
10 Jan 2022
President Ramaphosa assented to the Second Special Appropriation Act in December 2021.
Parliament passed the Second Special Appropriation Bill at the end of November 2021.
The bill was tabled in parliament in August 2021.
National treasury published the bill’s explanatory summary in Government Gazette 45013 on 19 August 2021.
According to the explanatory summary, the bill sought to address the impact of the recent unrest and the Covid-19 pandemic by providing for:
- additional urgent funding allocations; and
- amounts authorised in terms of section 16 of the Public Finance Management Act, 1999.
The bill’s memorandum pointed out that the bill provides for additional urgent funding allocations in the 2021/22 financial year to the votes of national treasury, social development, defence, police and trade, industry and competition.
The bill also included spending authorised by the finance minister in terms of section 16 of the PFMA for the reintroduction of the Social Relief of Distress grant and support for small businesses.
Treasury briefed the standing committee on appropriations on the bill at the end of August 2021.
In the briefing, treasury highlighted that the bill proposes additional urgent funding allocations of R32.850 billion to address the impact of the unrest and COVID-19 pandemic.
R1.3 billion will be made available for supporting businesses, R250 million for deployment of police personnel and R700 million for deployment of SANDF personnel to assist police.
The act, published in Government Gazette 45698, aims to:
- appropriate an additional amount of money for the requirements of the State; and
- provide for matters connected therewith.
- Special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress Grant ends
- Public Procurement Regulation for 21st Century Africa
- Rebuilding and the Rule of Law in aftermath of civil unrest
- Special Appropriation Act signed – Funding Eskom