Permitted services’ CIPC applications during Covid-19 lockown

permitted services
11 May 2020

As South Africa has moved from level 5 to level 4, many new companies qualify to operate under level 4 status and will need certificates to enable them to do so, per the Amended State of National Disaster Act and Regulations.

KISCH IP can assist clients in South Africa who provide permitted services with the following:

  • obtaining certificates from the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (“CIPC”) to enable these businesses to trade during the level 4 period;
  • a memorandum on the level 4 requirements;
  • providing a template permit for employees to perform a permitted service; and
  • a standard workplace plan.

The following broad categories of services qualify as permitted services under level 4:

  • Agriculture, Hunting, Forestry and Fishing
  • Electricity, Gas and Water Supply
  • Manufacturing of:
    • Wholesale and retail products permitted to be sold under level 4;
    • Paper and paper products
    • Plastics and packaging
    • Petroleum refineries, smelters and furnaces
    • Winter clothes, footwear, bedding and heaters
    • Automotive, steel and other metals, rail and ship-building
    • Stationary production
    • Cement, other construction material and hardware
    • Other manufacturing scaling up to a maximum of 30% employment
  • Construction and related services including trades persons
  • Wholesale and retail trade covering stores, SPAZA Shops, E-Commerce and Informal Traders
  • Information and Communication Services
  • Media and Entertainment Services
  • Financial and Business Services
  • Accommodation for essential service employees
  • Food Service activities operating only for food delivery services between (09h00 – 19h00)
  • Transport, storage and communication;
  • Mining and Quarrying
  • Repair and Related Emergency Services
  • Private Household Employment
  • Public Administration, Government Services and other Arms of the State
  • Health, Social and Personal Services

If you believe that you may be operating a permitted service and have not yet applied for a certificate, or if you require assistance in preparing your workplace plan or health protocols and policies, we at KISCH IP are able to assist.

Please contact us on [email protected] for enquiries, or click on the “Send a legal query” button below.

See also:

(This article is provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. For more information on the topic, please contact the author/s or the relevant provider.)
Get In Touch!

Government, Politics & Policy articles by

Government, Politics & Policy articles on GoLegal