Liquor Products Amendment Act in effect
28 Aug 2023
The Liquor Products Amendment Act 8 of 2021 has come into effect.
The agriculture, land reform and rural development department published proclamation 132 in Government Gazette 49064.
President Ramaphosa signed the act in September 2021.
Parliament passed the Liquor Products Amendment Bill and sent it to the president for assent in June 2021.
The bill was tabled in parliament in July 2016.
The national assembly passed the bill and sent it to the national council of provinces for concurrence in October 2017.
The bill was passed by parliament and sent to the president for assent in June 2018.
President Ramaphosa sent the bill back to parliament for reconsideration in June 2020.
According to an earlier statement from the presidency, the bill should have been referred to the National House of Traditional Leaders (NHTL) as the bill contained a new section on requirements regarding traditional African beer.
“The President’s view is based on the fact that traditional beer is an intrinsic part of a number of cultural practices. Customary practices require that the production and consumption of such beverages be effected in a particular manner.”
The president held the view that the bill will regulate how traditional beer is produced thereby affecting its production, distribution and consumption.
In March 2021, the bill was referred to the NHTL for comment.
The Liquor Products Amendment Act aims to amend the Liquor Products Act, 1989, so as to:
- insert certain deﬁnitions and to amend and delete others;
- provide for the renaming and reconstitution of the Wine and Spirit Board and to limit its powers;
- provide for requirements regarding beer, traditional African beer and other fermented beverages;
- repeal a provision in respect of the authorisations regarding certain alcoholic products;
- empower the Minister to designate a person to issue export certiﬁcates;
- align certain provisions with the Constitution;
- extend the Minister’s power to make regulations;
- provide gender-equal terminology; and
- provide for matters connected therewith.
The act came into effect on 1 August 2023.
Article sourced from Sabinet.
Sabinet invites you to create a free myDiscover Profile to browse and access Sabinet content.
- Liquor Products Amendment Act signed
- Food and liquor: The flavour of the month: Cannabis flavoured beer
- The ARB’s sobering decision on “non-alcoholic” beverages
- Competition Tribunal approves Heineken-Distell merger