Foreign Direct Investment and the Law: Perspectives from Selected African Countries
28 Jul 2020
About this publication
The focus of this volume of Acta Juridica – Foreign Direct Investment and the Law: Perspectives from Selected African Countries – is the relationship between foreign direct investment (FDI) and the law, within the context of FDI in Africa and the role of the Agreement establishing the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The book is a compilation of essays by authors who are specialists from across the spectrum of the law, bringing together their diverse contributions under the banner of foreign direct investment. More specifically, the authors consider the law and foreign direct investment from an African perspective, both regionally and country-specific, in the context of bilateral investment treaties, property law, the legal integration of business law, the role of investment and regulatory policies, dispute resolution, tax incentives and labour regulation.
This title is also available in hard cover format as Acta Juridica 2018.
About the Editors
Tracy Gutuza is an Associate Professor in the Department of Commercial Law at UCT, teaching and supervising both under- and post-graduate students in the areas of tax and finance law. Her research interests include business, tax and finance law, international tax law, including the tax implications of FDI. Tracy also has an interest in current developments in legal education.
Debbie Collier is Head of Department and Associate Professor in the Department of Commercial Law at UCT. She teaches and supervises in the areas of labour and employment law. Her research interests include international labour standards and the impact of FDI on labour standards in the region.
G Bradfield (General Editor)
Silindile Buthelezi (Assistant Editor)
- Foreword, Abbreviations and Editors’ Introduction – Professor Sir Jeffrey Jowell QC
- Bilateral investment treaties: Has South Africa chartered a new course? – Dennis M Davis
- Legal protection of property under the Protection of Investment Act 22 of 2015 – Charlotte-Sophie Picker
- The Agreement establishing the Forere African Continental Free Trade Area: Will it spur foreign direct investment in Africa? – Malebakeng Agnes
- Foreign direct investment and the rule of law in Africa in the context of legal integration – Salvatore Mancuso & Sara Rigazio
- Is there a positive relationship between investment policies and inward foreign direct investment flows? A study of Nigeria and Guinea-Bissau – Sinikiwe Mzezewa & Luck Mavhuru
- Approaches to investor state dispute resolution in Eastern Africa: Rwanda, Kenya and Mauritius – Lise Bosman & Susan Kimani
- The relationship between tax incentives and human rights obligations in the drive to attract foreign direct investment: Are developing countries in Africa getting it right? – Afton Titus & Tracy Gutuza
- Labour standards and foreign direct investment: A perspective on the export-oriented garment sectors in selected sub-Saharan African countries – Debbie Collier & Shane Godfrey
- Agreement Establishing the African Continental Free Trade Area
- Protocol on Trade in Goods
- Protocol on Trade in Services
- Protocol on Rules and Procedures on the Settlement of Disputes
- Edition: 1st Edition
- Format: Soft Cover
- ISBN: 9781485135623
- Language(s): English
- Extent: 316 Pages
- Published: 2019
- Category: Journals, International Law, Private and Public
Click here to purchase your copy.
- Disruption in the African mining and natural resources sector
- Investing abroad? The foreign investment allowance is at your disposal
- Demand Guarantees in the Construction Industry