Deputy Minister Jeffery to brief the media on the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
18 Jan 2017
The Deputy Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development, Mr John Jeffery, will brief the media on the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill. The Bill has been approved by Cabinet and will soon be tabled in Parliament.
The Bill aims to put in place a coherent and integrated cybersecurity statutory framework to address various shortcomings which exist in dealing with cybercrime and cybersecurity in the country and focuses, among others, on:
- Creating offences and prescribing penalties related to cybercrime.
- Regulating jurisdiction, as well as the powers to investigate search and gain access to or seize items in relation to cybercrimes.
- Regulating aspects of evidence, relative to cybercrimes.
- Regulating aspects of international cooperation in respect of investigations having a bearing on cybercrimes.
- The establishment of various structures to deal with cybersecurity.
- The identification and declaration of National Critical Information Infrastructures and measures to protect these infrastructures.
- Creating obligations for electronic communications service providers regarding issues that impact on cybersecurity.
The Bill and a Discussion Document, explaining the provisions of the Bill, are available for download on the website of the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, at the following address: http://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/bills/bills.htm#CyberCrimes.
The media briefing will be held as follows:
Date: 19 January 2017
Venue: 1035 Tshedimosetso House, cnr Frances Baard and Festival streets, Hatfield, Pretoria
Video Link: Cape Town, GCIS Parliament
For confirmation of attendance, please contact Mr. Victor Mateane Phala on 082 4652469/ email: [email protected] or Junior Kotu on 0791929194/email: [email protected]
Spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice and Correctional Services
– See more at: http://www.justice.gov.za/m_statements/2017/20170117-CyberCrimes-CyberSecurity.html#sthash.3RMh8S5v.dpuf