Maureen Makoko is an admitted attorney at Adams & Adam’s Trade Marks department. She specialises in trade mark prosecution, brand enforcement as well as litigation which includes name objection, opposition infringement matters, copyright and passing-off related matters. Her practice also includes IP Commercialisation, managing traditional and cultural portfolios in relation to IP, specifically the Basotho IP, and managing the copyright portfolio of famous photographers and musicians.
She studied at the University of Pretoria where she obtained her LLB in 2012 after joining Adams & Adams. She is a member of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law and a President’s Award Gold Award Holder.
Maureen has achieved the following awards and leadership recognition:
- President’s Award Gold Award Holder (2008) – The President’s Award is a leading structured youth development programme aimed at assisting the youth to discover their true potential and become future leaders in all respects. Maureen gives talks to the youth and encourages the development of key areas in personal and career growth for individuals to become well rounded.
- Selected as a World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) Influential Women in IP Trailblazer (2020) – The WIPR Influential Women in IP provides a positive focus on the development and progress that women in IP have made in creating, protecting, and securing IP.
- Chosen to participate in the International Visitors Leadership Programme (IVLP) in the United States, representing South Africa (2020) – The IVLP affords professionals who are leaders in their respective fields the opportunity to travel on a professional exchange program. Maureen attended the programme, but it was cut short due to the COVID pandemic.
- Featured on the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Alumni Network and the Global Award Alumni Network on leadership recognition (2020).
Maureen is passionate about uplifting and empowering the youth to reach their true potential by giving motivational talks to young people.
Areas of Specialisation:
- Trademark Litigation including Passing Off and Unlawful Competition
- Domain Name Disputes
- Company Name Objections
- Trade mark Prosecution: Local trade mark advice, conducting searches, filings and general prosecution
- Intellectual Property Commercialisation
Traditional knowledge as a trade secret
Jun 10 @ 6:00 pm - Jul 29 @ 8:00 pm
Jun 22 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Jun 24 @ 2:00 pm
Jul 16 @ 8:00 am
Jul 27 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Aug 24 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Aug 26 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Sep 22 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Oct 21 @ 2:00 pm
Oct 25 @ 11:00 am